Friday, October 25th Austin Beer Week commences, and it’s going to be
seven ten days of fermented foamy goodness. This is the fourth year, and each edition keeps getting better, and better. Austin Beer Week will take place throughout the city at over 60 venues, feature 39 breweries, and countless beers.
More than 100 events and plenty great things to do: tastings, educational events, dinners, pairings, brewery events, anniversary parties, etc. Overwhelmed? Don’t be. Here is my list of the best events happening during Austin Beer Week 2013.
My goal, sift through the calendar and nail down the best choices for each day. It’s impossible to do everything on this list. There are too many good events, to recommend just one event for every day. Craft beer is about options…freedom of choice *eagle screech*. Cheers!
Friday October 25th
- Opening Ceremony |7pm| Official Opening Party at Craft Pride– “rare and awesome” tappings from Jester King. Hops & Grain, Live Oak, Austin Beerworks, and Thirsty Planet. Locapour’s Mike Langford will be taking the stage, filming live panel-style interviews with reps from the mentioned breweries, along with Bitch Beer. Opening toast 7pm.
- Rare RABC Casks |5pm| Red’s Porch- tapping vintage Mysterium Verum Scots Gone Wild and XV, as well as a cask-conditioned Real Ale Pumpkin Pie Spiced Oktoberfest Firkin.
- Tradition |6pm| Every year Billy’s on Burnett taps the first Pumkinator Cask in Austin.
- Beyond The Wall |4pm| For those who don’t want to travel south. North Austin rare tapping of the Night at NXNW, Barton Kriek (cherry) Lambic.
Saturday October 26th
- Party! |12pm| (512) 5th Anniversary Party- firkins, barrels, casks, and 5 Imperial Stout. I haven’t missed an anniversary party yet.
- After Party! |1pm| Draught House’s 45th anniversay party. The Draught House pulls out all the stops for their birthday celebration. Always a special event. Trust me. Where is the After, After Party?
- #Askforcask |6 pm| Chicago House – Real Ale, Stone, Firestone Walker and Oskar Blues will all be doing a cask takeover with rare casks. I’m not sure how that will work, but it sounds amazing. Bonus, meet the brewers.
- Nitro Lovers |5pm| Pinthouse Pizza- Nitro Jaguar Shark! Yes, please.
- Burlesque (Not on the Official Calendar)– |10pm| ABGB- Big Mama Red herself, the namesake of the ABGB’s hoppy red libation, will host a live musical revue featuring an all-star cast of Austin and International burlesque performers.
Sunday October 27th
- Give Up the Funk– |12pm| Jester King 3rd Annual Funk n’ Sour Fest- this is a sold out event. You’ll find me there in the Texas Hill Country, sipping on rare sour beers from Jester King and other breweries. This is going to be funkadelic.
- Draught House 3rd Annual Brewer Olympics |2pm| Test your skills against local brewers in games like Crap Beer Cornhole, Keg Lift and Yeast Toss. This will be on ESPN one day.
- Kiss My Grits!– |6:30pm| Southern Beer Dinner- Hops & Grain paired with Lucy’s Fried Chicken. Menu looks fun and adventurous.
Monday October 28th
- Home Brew 101 |2:30pm| Black Star brewers teach an introductory home brew class.
- Ovila Tap Takeover |5pm| eight taps, some limited and some cellared, pouring at Red’s Porch.
- Forgot about the beer. Want Some? How about ether? |7pm| Alamo Drafthouse Beer Dinner + Movie, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
Tuesday October 29th
- People Who Can Take Off Work in the Middle of the Day |2:30pm| Black Star- Panel Discussion – Local Brewers & Craft Beer’s Future.
- I have a hunch |7:30pm| Hi Hat- Ballast Point and Firestone Walker special tappings TBA. Hi Hat has a tendency to score some rare beers. I have a good feeling about this. #RecklessRumorMongering.
Wednesday October 30th
- Get Horizontal |4pm| NXNW Blackjack aged in three different bourbon barrels (Maker’s Mark, Wild Turkey and Jim Beam), for the same amount of time.
- Noodles |6pm| Ramen Tatsu Ya comes to Draught House, Austin Beerworks pairings.
- DR 12 and Pumpkinator |6pm| Tapped at Red’s Porch. Damn! Red’s is really bringing it this year.
- Film Buffs |7:30| Regional Movie Premier – BEER HUNTER: THE MOVIE. Michael Jackson documentary. No, not that Michael Jackson.
Thursday October 31st
- The Great Pumpkin |5pm| Pumpkin beers at Red’s Porch, featuring a two-year vertical of Southern Tier Pumking, 2012 Thirsty Planet Masala, DogFish Head Punkin Ale and more.
- Buzzed |5pm| All eight of The Buzz Bar’s taps will be dedicated to Austin Beerworks with seasonal and limited-release favorites part of the rotation.
- Founders Tap Takeover |6pm| Breakfast Stout and others, pouring at Chicago House.
- Feel Like Dressing Up– Halloween parties at Craft Pride, Pint House, Easy Tiger, and Snack Bar (Pet costume contest.)
Friday November 1st
- Hungover? |1:30pm| Get some Cuvee coffee and rally. Black Star Brewer Jeff Young and Cuvee Coffee Founder Mike McKim partnered to create an impressive version of Crotchety Dockhand.
- Quoth The Raven |4pm| NXNW releasing The Raven, bourbon barrel-aged and soured black ale aged with blackberries. Supplies are very limited.
- Señor Gubna |7pm| Hi Hat special tapping, meet the brewer – Oskar Blues Tequila-aged Gubna. Plus, some special Left Hand Beers.
Saturday November 2nd
- (512) Vertical |5pm| Two-year vertical featuring 2012 & 2013 (512) Whiskey Barrel Double Pecan Porter. Red’s Porch, again!
- Cider Lovers |All Day| Austin Eastciders official launch party for their first cider Gold Top and a sneak preview of the’Urban Cidery’, opening to the public in early 2014. Free BBQ from Micklethwait!
Sunday November 3rd
- We Suck |2pm| Austin Beer Guide- Bloggers Suck Bike Crawl through the fertile Burnet beer crescent.
The end. See you next year, Austin Beer Week.